Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,125 pages of information and 227,783 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Rudolph Bodmer (1853-1902) of Bodmer and Jones
1853 Born the son of Louis Rudolph Bodmer
1885 Correspondence address: 2 Lansdowne Terrace, London, with his father
1902 August 23rd. Died at Duisberg an Rheim, George Rudolph Bodmer, C.E., of Duisberg and London.
1903 Obituary 
GEORGE RUDOLPH BODMER, born in 1853, was descended on both sides from notable engineers, his father being a son of George Bodmer, well known as the introducer of great improvements in spinning machinery and engine-valve gear, and his mother a daughter of Benjamin Hick, one of the founders of the firm of Hick, Hargreaves and Co., of Bolton.
The subject of this notice, after being educated at a public school at Northampton, went through the complete course of mechanical engineering a the Swiss Federal Polytechnic at Zurich, where he obtained a diploma as Engineer.
After leaving the Polytechnic he spent two years as a pupil in the works of Sulzer Brothers, of Winterthur, and was subsequently employed at the mines and works of the Anglo-Rhenish Lead Company, and as a draughtsman in the works of Easton and Anderson, of Erith.
He was next for some years with P. R. Jackson and Co, of Salford, on whose behalf he made a journey to India.
In 1893 he took over the business of Bodmer and Jones, Consulting and Inspecting Engineers, of London and Duisburg-am-Rhein, and subsequently married Miss Dellman, daughter of the Director of the Municipal Gas and Waterworks at Duisburg.
Mr. Bodmer was the author of a standard work on Turbines and Water Motors which has passed through several editions, and shortly before his death, which took place at Duisburg, from blood poisoning, on the 23rd August, 1902, he had completed a short work dealing with the Inspection of Railway Materials.
Mr. Bodmer, who was of a somewhat reserved and retiring disposition, was held in warm esteem by those who knew him intimately; he was a man of most amiable character and of great intellectual capacity.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 27th May, 1879.