Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Robson (1853-1904)
1904 Obituary 
GEORGE ROBSON was born near North Shields on 9th July 1853, and was educated at a local school.
On leaving school at the age of fifteen he served his time as a mining and mechanical engineer at the Backworth and West Cramlington Collieries, and on the expiration of his apprenticeship in 1874 he was appointed assistant engineer and draughtsman, in which capacity he served for 8 years.
In 1882 he received an appointment as engineer and superintendent to the Harehope Gill Lead Mining Co. in the County of Durham, and shortly afterwards became consulting engineer to the Burnhope and Hexham and Edmondbyres Lead Mines, also in the County of Durham, both of which positions he held at the same time.
After the closing of these mines in 1887 he was engaged by the Mines Contract Co., of London, and other firms to inspect and report on mining property in America, New Zealand, and several countries in Europe.
In 1898 he went out to Western Australia to manage the Hannan's Star Gold Mines, where he carried out some extensive works, including erecting Diehl's plant for gold extraction, this being the first plant introduced into these goldfields. He superintended these Mines for 21 years, when ill-health caused him to return to England.
In May 1903 he went out to British Columbia to inspect and report on a gold mine there, when, carrying out his inspection, he unfortunately had an accident through a fall from which injury he never recovered.
His death took place at Stanhope, County of Durham, on the 29th Juno 1904, in his fifty-first year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1897.