Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,260 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Richmond Collis and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1838.
1839.
1842.
1847.

of Church Street, Birmingham.

1835 George Richmond Collis acquired Sir Edward Thomason's manufactory in Church Street, Birmingham.

Collis & Co continued to produce a wide range of goods, described in an 1839 advertisement as "Articles in the highest classes of the arts, in Gold, Silver, Plated Bronze & Or-Molu....". and in an 1849 advertisement "Manufacturers of Gold and Silver Services of Every Descriptions, Platers by the new process of Electro Plate on fine German Silver &c....".

1849 Manufactory with a suite of showrooms with workmanship in gold, silver, plated ware, medals, bronzes, and the crystallised bases of metals.[1]

The firm exhibited its production in Birmingham (1849) and London (1851 and 1862) Exhibitions

1856 Business offered for sale. 'A CHURCH STREET SILVER, ELECTRO-PLATE, AND MEDAL WORKS. Mr. GEORGE RICHMOND COLLIS being desirous of retiring from business, wishes to DISPOSE OF the extensive SILVER ELECTRO-PLATE, and MEDAL WORKS, so successfully carried en by the late Sir Edward Thomason and himself for upwards of seventy years. The well-known Establishments in Church street, Birmingham, and Regent street, Loudon, are in full operation, and would, in a few years, realise an ample fortune to any one possessing capital and industry. The Machinery, Dies, (exceeding sixty tons in weight,) and Patterns are of the best description, having been selected regardless of expense; and at the recent Pans Exhibition the First Class Silver Medal was awarded to Messrs. G. R. Collis A Co., for the excellence of their Designs and Workmanship.'[2]

c.1868 Moved to Cambridge Street, Birmingham.

The firm had London branch at 130 Regent Street and Langham Place, Regent Street (c.1847). The premises in Regent Street were taken over in 1888 by John Bodman Carrington (Carrington & Co).

1888 Collis & Co was absorbed by S. W. Smith and Co


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. History and Directory of Birmingham, 1849
  2. Sheffield Independent - Saturday 08 March 1856