Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,956 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Napier (1869-1898)
1899 Obituary 
GEORGE NAPIER, only son of Mr. A. J. Napier, Writer to the Signet, was born at Edinburgh on the 30th May, 1869.
He was educated at the Edinburgh Academy and at the Edinburgh University, after which he went through the three-yearcso urse at the Royal Indian Engineering College, Cooper's Hill, obtaining the diploma of the College.
He then gained practical training with the firm of P. and W. MacLellan, of the Clutha Ironworks, Glasgow.
During 1894 and 1895 he was one of the staff of Galbraith and Church, engaged on the construction of the graving dock at Southampton, and in January, 1896, he was appointed an Assistant Civil Engineer to the Admiralty on the construction of the Keyham Extension of H. M. Dockyard, Devonport, under Whately Eliot, the Superintending Civil Engineer. Towards the end of 1897, however, his health became so bad that he was compelled to resign that appointment.
Early in the following year he went on a seavoyage to the Cape, and on the 11th March, 1898, he died at Cape Town from a sudden attack of pneumonia. Mr. Napier combined practical common sense with an unusually sweet disposition, and his early death was greatly deplored by his colleagues on Keyham Extension.
He was elected an Associate Member on 3rd March, 1896.