Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,376 pages of information and 211,456 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Maxwell Brooke Hilton

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

George Maxwell Brooke Hilton (c1879-1942)


1942 Obituary [1]

GEORGE MAXWELL BROOKE HILTON held the appointment of manager of the London Office of Messrs. Heenan and Froude, Ltd., of Worcester at the time of his death, which occurred at St. Albans on 2nd September 1941, in his sixty-second year. He was also chief of the firm's outside sales organisation. He had been associated with that firm since 1911, in which year he was appointed technical sales engineer for the Manchester district, where he was responsible for the installation of dynamometers, mechanical water coolers, steam superheaters, oil coolers to deal with quenching tank oil in large steel works, and other plant. He was also responsible for the installation of complete aero-engine test house plant at the works of Messrs. Crossley Motors, Ltd., and for the installation of test house plant for Messrs. Rolls-Royce, Ltd.

In 1919, he was appointed to the London Office to carry out similar duties and became chief of outside sales four years later. Mr. Hilton, who had received his technical education at the Technical College, Derby, served his apprenticeship with Messrs. A. Handyside and Company and Messrs. H. J. Coles from 1899 until 1903 in which year he joined the shore staff of the P. and O. Company and later sailed on S.S. Candia as junior engineer, being promoted chief engineer on obtaining his Board of Trade Certificates.

From 1907 to 1911 he was engineer surveyor to the United Legal Indemnity Insurance Society, Ltd., London, for whom he was engaged on the inspection of boilers, engines, lifts, and cranes, under the Factory Act. Mr. Hilton was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1908 and was transferred to Membership in 1929.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information