Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Keillor Lennox

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

George Keillor Lennox (c1903-1939)

1939 Obituary [1]

"GEORGE KEILLOR LENNOX, whose death occurred on 7th November 1939, at the early age of 36, was born at Rutherglen, Scotland, and studied engineering subjects for several years at the Royal Technical College, Glasgow.

From 1919 to 1924 he served his apprenticeship with Messrs. G. and J. Weir, Ltd., of Cathcart, Glasgow; he afterwards entered the drawing office as a junior draughtsman and was engaged in the design of marine auxiliaries. He joined the Cardonald Housing Corporation in 1925, as a draughtsman, and after a year's work as a designer of steel houses he took charge of special work relating to standardization of parts. In 1927 he was made responsible for a department of the firm, and was chiefly concerned with drafting specifications and taking quantities. He returned to Messrs. Weir in 1928, and was engaged until 1932 on the design of turbine pumps for the British Admiralty and for foreign governments. Except for a few months' work as a draughtsman and estimator with Messrs. Dawson and Downie, Ltd., of Clydebank, during 1932, he remained with Messrs. Weir until his death. In 1933 he entered the rotary pump drawing office at Cathcart and carried out a considerable amount of work in connection with the determining of hydraulic particulars for single-stage and multi-stage centrifugal pumps, and he also designed constituent parts of pumps to withstand very high working pressures, chiefly for the boilers of large modern power stations. Mr. Lennox was also an evening teacher of engineering subjects during 1936-8 at Stow College School of Engineering, Glasgow. He was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1934 and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1938."

See Also


Sources of Information