Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,439 pages of information and 211,690 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Howard Robinson (1871-1941)
1871 Born at Iver Heath, Bucks
1881-5 Educated at Chertsey Grammar School
1885-7 Educated at Kent County School, Birchington
1887-90 Educated at Technische Machinenbau Schule, Hamburg
1891-6 Apprenticed to Cardigan Engineering Co, Cardigan
1896-1907 Marine engineer with Cunard Steam Ship Co
1907-1908 Chief draughtsman and designer for J. A. Lawton and Co, automobile engineers, 35 Hardman St, Liverpool. Designed engine gearbox and components for the Lawton Chassis
1908-9 Educated at Liverpool Technical College
1909-1914 Works manager in own firm, Bramhall and Robinson of Gt Crosby, Lancs
Designed rotary petrol engine for Universal Motor Co, Brick St, W
WWI Commissioned in RASC; later moved to Tank Corps; subsequently Tank Engineer with the War Office
1915, 1917, 1919 Several patents
1941 Obituary 
GEORGE HOWARD ROBINSON received his technical education in Liverpool and at the City and Guilds of London Institute. Subsequently he went to sea and obtained a first-class Board of Trade engineer's certificate. He served his apprenticeship, from 1891 to 1895, in the fitting, machine, and smith's shops, and in the foundry of the Cardigan Engineering Company, South Wales.
After holding appointments as marine engineer to the Cunard Steamship Company, and as draughtsman and designer to Messrs. A. I. Lawton and Company, automobile engineers, he became works manager to the firm of Messrs. Bramhall and Robinson, in which he was a partner.
In 1915 he received a commission in the R.A.S.C. (Mechanical Transport). He was transferred to the Tank Corps in 1917 and was attached to the War Office as Tank Engineer.
After being demobilized, with the rank of Captain, he became chief engineer to Messrs. C. Rymer and Company, automobile engineers. From 1922 to 1926 he was works manager to the Sandon Motor Engineering Company, and was responsible for the repair and maintenance of petrol and steam hoists and lifts. He then became works manager to the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company, and held this position until his retirement in November 1933.
Mr. Robinson was born in 1871, and was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1920. His death occurred on 10th August 1940.