Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Howard Clarke (1849-1892)
1893 Obituary 
GEORGE HOWARD CLARKE, third son of the late Mr. H. B. Clarke of Serjeant’s Inn, solicitor, was born on the 5th of September, 1849.
After being educated at Kensington Grammar School, he served an apprenticeship of five years with the Yorkshire Engine Co of Sheffield, and then worked for a time in the construction and repairing-shops of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway at Gorton.
In 1875 he was appointed District Locomotive Superintendent at Grimsby for the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway Company, under the late Charles R. Sacre, Chief Engineer. That post he held for thirteen years, his duties including the supervision and maintenance of locomotives, of hydraulic and dredging machinery, and also of the Company’s fleet of steamers working between Grimsby and the Continent.
In 1887 Mr. Clarke obtained the appointment of Locomotive Superintendent to the Argentine Great Western Railway Company, and in the following year that of Locomotive Superintendent to the Great Southern of Santa Fe and Cordoba Railway Company. The latter post he held until the spring of 1891, when a reduction in the staff and salaries induced him to resign.
After some months’ stay in England he returned to South America in February, 1892, as Locomotive Superintendent of the Minas Central of Brazil Railway. He never, however, entered upon the duties of this post, as he was attacked, at Cruzerio, by yellow fever, which proved fatal on the 9th of March, 1892.
Mr. Clarke was a competent engineer and enthusiastically devoted to his work. In disposition he was kind, generous, and sympathetic.
He was married in 1882 to Annie, eldest daughter of Mr. J. P. Atkinson, J.P., of Scartho, near Grimsby.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 3rd of December, 1889.