Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,122 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Henry Strong (1861-1938)
1897 M.I.N.A., consulting engineer, of Hull. 
1908 Consulting Engineer and Marine Surveyor of Hull.
1938 Obituary 
GEORGE HENRY STRONG was well known in Hull as a naval architect and as a ship and engineer surveyor. He was born in London in 1861 and came to Hull in 1876 when he entered the workshops of Messrs. Good and Menzies, engineers and boilermakers. He completed his apprenticeship in 1882, with Messrs. C. D. Holmes and Company, and then entered the firm's drawing office. In 1889 he was promoted to be chief draughtsman. For thirteen years (1885-98) Mr. Strong also taught engineering subjects at evening classes under the education committees of Hull and Goole. He became chief assistant to Mr. J. Jamieson, consulting engineer and marine surveyor, of Hull, in 1892, but after Mr. Jamieson's death in 1894 he went into business on his own account as a consulting engineer. In this capacity he was responsible for superintending the design and construction of seventy-five large vessels.
He acted as superintendent engineer to several ship-owning firms in Hull and district, and was surveyor for Lloyd's and other underwriters and steamship insurance companies. For ten years he acted as non-exclusive ship and engineer surveyor to the British Corporation for the survey and register of shipping. During the War, as inspector for Messrs. Vickers, Ltd., he was responsible for the fitting of mine-sweeping gear to several hundred vessels in the Humber ports.
In 1919 he took his son, Mr. Henry Strong, into partnership, and retired early in 1938.
He was keenly interested in wireless telegraphy from its early days, and formed a remarkable collection of early types of wireless appliances which he presented to the Hull Museum.
Mr. Strong was elected a Member of the Institution in 1913. He rendered valuable services as a member of the Committee of the Yorkshire Branch from its inception in 1921. He was also a Member of the Institution of Naval Architects and Vice-President of the Society of Consulting Marine Engineers and Ship Surveyors. He died at his home in Newland, Hull, on 11th November 1938.