George Harker and Co
of 70-72 Weston Street, Bermondsey, London, SE1. Telephone: Hop 1386. Cables: "Harkers, London". Saleroom: 9 Eastcheap, London, EC3. Telephone: Mansion House 3960
George Harker 1778-1863
- 1826 George Harker and Co was founded by George Harker, at 27 Martin Lane in London, originally as a drysalters and stationers operating in dried fish, oil and spices.
- Later the company extended their interests, becoming specialists in rice, pulses, dried fruit, canned goods, spices, nuts and foreign produce generally.
- 1863 By the time George Harker died, at the age of 65, it had become what his bank described as a "a good and extensive business".
- WWII. During the war, the factory was destroyed when bombed, but thanks to contingency plans, work continued the next day at another location.
- Post-WWII. After the Second World War, there was a considerable change in food trading. Self-service grew extensively so goods such as dried fruit, nuts and pulses had to be sold individually packaged for the consumer.
- George Harker Ltd was able to take advantage of this growth in pre-packaged food as they were already established as packers for customers’ own registered brands. The company grew into the new self-service market.
- 1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Custard and Blancmange Powders, Baking Powder, Golden Raising Powder. Grinders and Pre-Packers of Pepper and Spice. Specialist Pre-Packers of Cereal Products. (Earls Court, 1st Floor, Stand No. 732) 
- 1998 Merged with Demos Ciclitera.
- Note: (09/08)
- Demos Ciclitera Ltd has its own website: