Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,098 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Coates (1838-1880)

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

George Coates (1838-1880)


1880 Obituary [1]

MR. GEORGE COATES, the second son of the late &fr. George Coates, for many years one of the engineers of the Allenheads Lead Mines, Northumberland, was born in November 1838, at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where his education was received.

He then served an apprenticeship of seven years (May 1852-59) to Sir W. G. Armstrong and Co. at Elswick, passed through the pattern shop, foundries and drawing-office, and remained with the same firm until April 1864 as a draughtsman; but during this latter period he was employed for six months by Mr. W. B. Beaumont, M.P., in designing the crushing mill machinery for the Weardale mines.

On leaving Sir W. G. Armstrong and Co., the testimonials he obtained from the firm spoke highly of his ability, industry and engineering capabilities.

In 1864 he accepted an appointment under Mr. Henry Robinson, M. Inst. C.E., but in September of the same year became an assistant in the office of one of the principal engineers in Westminster, attaining in a short time the position of manager of the drawing department, which he held for fifteen years. During this period many important works for the supply of water and gas to some of the largest towns in the kingdom were designed.

About two years ago he commenced business on his own account, but his health failed, and after a short illness he died on the 8th of February, 1880.

He was elected an Associate of the Institution in February 1573.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information