Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Bond (1840-1896)
1896 Obituary 
GEORGE BOND, born on the 9th December, 1840, was the son of Mr. G. H. Bond, mining engineer, of Nottingham.
After being educated at Heidelberg he became a naval cadet. He abandoned the sea, however, and from 1859 served an apprenticeship to his father. On the breaking out of the American Civil War in 1862 his roving disposition re-asserted itself, and he was engaged in several ventures of blockade-running at New Orleans.
He then became manager of the Mostyn Hall Colliery, and in 1867 sub-manager, under his father, of the South Wales Mineral Railway. He was also occupied at this period on the erection of blast-furnaces in Northamptonshire.
Mr. Bond‘s connection with the Staveley Coal and Iron Company commenced in 1872. On the death of Mr. Charles Markham in 1888 he was appointed general manager and engineer of the Company’s extensive works and collieries. During the period of his management several large coal-fields were acquired, among them one at Warsop and another at Temple Normanton, at the latter of which a pit was sunk called Bond’s Main Colliery. He was also responsible for the laying out and construction of railways in connection with the ironstone mines belonging to the Company.
Mr. Bond died suddenly at Tapton House, Chesterfield, the residence of Mrs. Markham, on the 22nd of April, 1896. As a man he was genial and generous, and to his determination and energy was due a long fight against the heart affection which finally caused his death. He was a Justice of the Peace for Derbyshire and Chairman of the Brimington Parish Council.
Mr. Bond was elected a Member on the 7th May, 1889.
1896 Obituary 
GEORGE BOND died suddenly on April 22, 1896, whilst on a visit to Tapton Hall, a place not far distant from his residence, Brimington Hall, near Chesterfield. Descendant of an old Staffordshire family, he was born in 1841, and began his professional career in the mercantile marine.
Before holding the position of general manager of the Staveley Coal and Iron Company, he acted as traveller for them, and on the death of Mr. Charles Markham he assumed the charge of the gigantic concern, whose affairs he conducted so successfully. Recently he was placed upon the Commission of the Peace for the county.
He was a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1888.