Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,122 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1912 Obituary 
GEORGE BLAKE OUGHTERSON was born at Liverpool on 22nd November 1837.
At the age of seventeen he became an apprentice at the locomotive and carriage works of the Paris and Rouen Railway, under Mr. William Buddicom, and the last year of his apprenticeship was spent in the prime cost and estimating department of these works, an experience which proved of the greatest value subsequently.
On the completion of his term he was appointed, in 1858, resident engineer under Sir Donald Campbell on the Lowgill-Ingleton section of the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway. After three months' service there he was, though only just over twenty-one years of age, appointed to the post of assistant locomotive superintendent on the Great Luxemburg Railway, under the late Mr. Thomas Kitson and subsequently the late Mr. Price Pritchard Bailey.
This position he held for four and a half years, and then he joined the staff of the late Mr. Edward Preston, who was one of the concessionaires for the Belgian Railway from Tamines to Landen, taking charge of the Brussels office. Here he supervised the plotting off of the sections, the calculations of the quantities of earthworks, etc., the design of the bridges, etc.
In this position he remained two years, when, in 1865, he was offered, and accepted, a partnership in the old-established firm of William Martin, Son and Co., at Rouen. Foundry work, however, proved unattractive, and accordingly William Martin decided to take over adjoining engineering works, and started the manufacture of all stationary railway plant, and also of sugar machinery for export to the French colonies. As success was being attained, the Franco-German War broke out, and the firm had to go into voluntary liquidation at the end of the war, owing to the difficulty of obtaining money.
The engineering business was taken over by Messrs. Manlove, Alliott and Co., of Nottingham, on condition that Mr. Oughterson should remain as their manager at Rouen.
This arrangement lasted up to the end of 1877, when he became general manager at Mr. Peter Brotherhood's works in London. In this connection he was delegated to superintend and carry out trials in connection with torpedoes and their accessories, and visited on several occasions all the arsenals of the French Government, the Italian arsenal at Spezia, the Dutch arsenal at Haider, and the Danish arsenal at Copenhagen.
The association with Mr. Brotherhood ceased in March 1897, and immediately afterwards he joined the late Mr. W. Harry Stanger as manager of the engineering department of his business, as consulting and inspecting engineer to the Crown Agents for the Colonies, to two Admiralty departments, and to several self-governing colonies.
His death took place at Folkestone from an attack of cerebral haemorrhage, on 2nd August 1912, in his seventy-fifth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1867; and he was also a Member of the Societe des ingenieurs Civils de France