Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Augustus D'Auvergne Anley (1833-1900)
1900 Obituary 
GEORGE AUGUSTUS DAUVERGNE ANLEY, born on the 16th November, 1833, served the usual period of pupilage under Mr. George Sibley (late Chief Engineer of the East Indian Railway Company).
In 1857 he was appointed an Assistant Engineer on the East Indian Railway Company, and served in the Beerbhoom District until 1859, when he was transferred to the Rajmahal District, and placed in charge of the heavy rock-cutting and the construction of the railway between Behawa Station and Rajmahal Junction.
On the completion of that work in January, 1861, he was allowed, on the application of the Government of India, to leave the service of the East Indian Railway Company, and was appointed an Executive Engineer, 4th-grade in the Public Works Department. He was posted to the Pooree Division in Orissa, and placed in charge of the roads, buildings and embankments in that district.
In November, 1862, he was transferred to the Balasore Division, and placed in charge of the remodelling and construction works of the Orissa Trunk Road, of the public buildings and embankments in that division, and of the improvement of the navigation of the river Burrabullong.
In March, 1865, on the application of the Municipality of Calcutta to the Government of India for an engineer to officiate for Mr. William Clark, Municipal Engineer, he was transferred temporarily to the service of that Municipality, and was in charge of the extensive drainage works then being carried on, and of all other works falling within the duties of a Municipal Engineer, until December, 1868, when Mr. Clark returned to India.
Mr. Anley then reverted to his appointment under the Government of India, and was placed in charge of the works on the road (124 miles) extending from the Ganges River to the foot of the Darjeeling Hills, on which several large bridges ere erected, and of all roads and buildings in the Purneah District.
In September, 1875, Mr. Anley was appointed to officiate as a Superintending Engineer, first of the Presidency Circle and afterwards of the North-West Circle.
In April, 1876, he became Assistant to the Chief Engineer, and Assistant Secretary to the Government of Bengal in the Public Works Department, and held those posts until March, 1880, again acting for a short period during that time as Superintending Engineer of the Presidency and North-West Circles.
In March, 1880, he was appointed to officiate as Superintending Engineer, 3rd-Class, and placed in charge of the Eastern Circle of Bengal.
In March, 1882, he was permanently promoted to the rank of Superintending Engineer, 3rd-class, and in July, 1884, to the rank of Superintending Engineer, 2nd-Class, in which rank he served till his retirement from the service in 1888. He designed the large and handsome Eden Hospital for Women in Calcutta, which was erected under his supervision.
Mr. Anley was elected a Member of the Bedford Town Council in 1899, and died in that town on the 16th February, 1900.
He was elected a Member of this Institution on the 19th May, 1885.