From Graces Guide
1948 As a result of the Gas Act of 1948, the gas industry was reorganised, with the 1,064 local gas undertakings being vested in twelve Area Gas Boards, each an autonomous body with its own chairman and Board structure.
1949 The Gas Council was established to act as a liaison between the Area Boards and the Ministry of Fuel and Power, though the Council had no direct powers over the Boards. The Gas Council was made up of the twelve Area Board Chairmen and had a chairman of its own. It replaced the industry-funded British Gas Council
Each Area Board divided its region into geographical groups or divisions which were often further divided into smaller districts. The boundaries of these groups were changed frequently and several divisional reorganisations took place during the 1950s and 1960s.
During the 1960s technical advances were made within the industry and the first imported liquified natural gas appeared.
1962 the first surveys of the North Sea took place
By 1967 North Sea gas was being brought ashore at Easington terminal. At this time the ten year national conversion programme began, which involved the physical conversion of every gas appliance in the country from town gas to natural gas.
1973 the Gas Council was abolished and the British Gas Corporation was established. Major reorganisation including renaming Area Boards as Regions.
1986 The assets of the British Gas Corporation were transferred to British Gas plc. In November 1986, shares in British Gas plc were offered for sale on the stockmarket.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Apr 30, 1949