Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,980 pages of information and 229,144 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
at Gargunnock, west of Stirling
This bridge originally crossed Kelty Water a short distance south east of Gartmore (west of Stirling). It may have been built as early as 1826. It carried the A81, and was due to be scrapped in 1974, but its unusual design was recognised by the Central Regional Roads Dept., who saved the girders and re-used them for a footbridge alongside the road bridge in the village of Gargunnock.
Each of the two cast iron truss girders is cast in one piece, and has hollow circular top and bottom chord members. Between the chords are integral vertical ribs and X ribs of cruciform section. Bolted to the bottom chord is a series of cast iron boxes which presumably supported wooden cross members. The bridge now has a concrete deck. Span 28ft 9in.