Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of GEC
of Westinghouse Road, Trafford Park, Manchester. (1982)
After being a minor player in tram equipment, the company entered the heavy rail electric traction market in the 1920s and 30s.
By 1927 GEC was one of the UK's major electrical-machinery and plant manufacturers
1939 Engaged in Railway electrification business at home and abroad.
Post-WWII Collaborated with English Electric Co on railway electrification projects.
1960-7 Over this period GEC and English Electric won overseas orders worth £30M for railway locomotives
GEC closed its rail traction operations
The company had offices and works at Trafford Park in Manchester, at Strand Road in Preston, and at Attercliffe Common, Sheffield.
GEC Traction designed and manufactured a full range of traction machines and control equipment for electric vehicles, including electric locomotives and multiple unit trains for main-line and mass-transit railway systems (dc up to 3,000 volts, and ac up to 50,000 volts), diesel-electric locomotives and trains, mining and industrial locomotives, tramcars and trolleybuses.
GEC Traction was the leading supplier of traction equipment in the UK and had a wide market around the world, particularly in South Africa, Australasia, Hong Kong, South Korea, South America and Pakistan.
1979 the Industrial Locomotive Division of the former English Electric Co at Vulcan Works, Newton-le-Willows was merged into GEC Traction, which later became a separate company, GEC Industrial Locomotives Ltd.
1989 GEC Alsthom was formed as a 50/50 joint venture by the merger of the power and transport divisions of Compagnie Générale d'Electricité (CGE) and GEC.
1989 Became GEC Alsthom Traction Ltd
The firm underwent major rationalisation, involving closure of several sites including Attercliffe Common in Sheffield in 1985 and the company’s headquarters at Trafford Park in 1998.
1998 Became Alstom Traction Ltd, of Rugby