of Water Street, Birmingham.
Philip Frederick Muntz, partly on the advice of Matthew Boulton, bought a share in the firm of Mynors/Minors and Robert Purden, merchants. The firm was later widely known as Muntz and Purden.
c.1807 Philip's son George joined the family business at age 13. On the death of his father on 31 July 1811 he managed the metalworks which the elder Muntz had established in Water Street, Birmingham.
1832 George Muntz gained patents for Muntz's metal, and for ships' bolts made of Muntz's metal.
In 1837 George became a partner with the copper smelters Pascoe Grenfell and Sons of London and Swansea; formation of Patent Metal Co; production of Muntz's metal transferred to Swansea.
By 1843 P. H. Muntz was deputy chairman of the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce
1849 Directory: Listed as metal rollers 
1851 Due to the scale of demand, the "great copper sheathing works" were being operated 24 hours/day
1852 Mr Muntz was adding to his "immense" establishments in Birmingham and Smethwick with another works on the banks of the Grand Junction Canal and by the Stour Valley Railway to make copper sheathing as at Smethwick
The Water Street business was presumably later P. H. Muntz and Co
Sources of Information
- ↑ George Frederick Muntz, by Samuel Timmins, rev. Matthew Lee, ODNB
- ↑ Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser, August 19, 1843
- ↑ History and Directory of Birmingham, 1849: Metal Rollers
- ↑ The Morning Chronicle, November 24, 1851
- ↑ The Morning Post, June 28, 1852