Frederick William Talbot (1865-1943)
1945 Obituary 
FREDERICK WILLIAM TALBOT, whose death occurred during the year 1943 was associated with water supply engineering during the greater part of his professional career. He was born in 1865, and after serving his apprenticeship from 1879 to 1883 at the Test Valley Ironworks, Romsey, Hants, was employed during the following three years as a liner-out at the Falcon Engine Works, Loughborough and with Messrs. Fowler and Company, of Leeds. On completing a three years' engagement as engineer to the Lion Brewery, Lambeth, he entered the service of the Lambeth Water Works at Surbiton, where he remained until 1895, when he became general manager and secretary of the Frimley and Farnborough Water Company, with responsibility for the mechanical engineering work. He relinquished this position in 1907, and during the next twenty years held the appointment of director in the firm of Messrs. Tasker Brothers, engineers, Andover, to whom he was responsible for the design of engines and machinery.
His final position, which he occupied from 1926 until his retirement some twelve years later, was that of managing director of the Tilehurst and Pangbourne District Water Company. During his tenure of office, in addition to exercising a general supervision of the undertaking, he carried out new works and extensions. In addition he established a business, with works in Birmingham, for the manufacture and marketing of machines, which he himself had patented, for tapping water and gas mains and inserting ferrules under pressure, as well as an improved form of swivelling ferrule.
Mr. Talbot was an Associate Member of the Institution from 1893 to 1912 and was re-elected an Associate Member in 1929.