Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,946 pages of information and 228,823 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frederick Slade (1823-1905)
1906 Obituary 
FREDERICK SLADE, born on the 28th November, 1823, was the second son of the late Mr. Henry Slade of Aston Upthorpe, near Wallingford. Destined for agricultural pursuits, the subject of this notice was attracted to the engineering profession during the early days of railway construction.
In 1846 he entered the service of Messrs. Tredwell Brothers, contractors, and continued in their employment, chiefly as Resident Engineer, until the completion of their last contract in 1872. During this period he was employed on the construction of the Berkshire and Hants, Oxford and Rugby, Bradford and Bathampton, High Wycombe and Thame, and other railways; harbour- and dock-works at Porthcawl; and improvementworks at Bristol harbour.
In 1872 he was appointed by Mr. F. C. Stileman to superintend the construction of the Ramsden Dock and other works at Barrow-in-Furness, on the completion of which in 1879 he retired from professional life.
Mr. Slade devoted the remainder of his days chiefly to scientific pursuits and to active participation in local affairs. He was keenly interested in astronomy and was also an enthusiastic and able meteorologist and a Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society. His daily records of rainfall and other meteorological conditions at Beckford, extending over a period of 22 years, were compiled with painstaking care and accuracy ; and he was well versed in many branches of natural knowledge, to the pursuit of which he brought a trained observation and a keen enjoyment of outdoor life.
He died at Beckford, near Tewkesbury, on the 1st December, 1905, in his eighty-second year. In private life his wide culture and attractive personal qualities rendered their possessor a welcome acquisition in social gatherings and endeared him to a large circle of friends.
Mr. Slade was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 5th December, 1876, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.