Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,019 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frederick Flood (1841-1901)
1902 Obituary 
FREDERICK FLOOD, born on the 16th August, 1842, was educated at Elstree, at Barrow, which he left as second of the school, and at the University of Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1866, taking a senior optime in the mathematical tripos, and proceeded to M.A. in 1869.
He was articled to the late Mr. James Abernethy, Past-President, in November, 1866, and after three years in the drawing office, went to Newport, Mon., where he acted as Assistant Engineer during the construction of the Alexandra Dock from 1869 to 1875.
In July, 1875, he returned to Mr. Abernethy’s office, and assisted in preparing the detailed drawings for the Prince of Wales Dock, Swansea, which was opened in October, 1881. Mr. Abernethy being called on in July, 1876, to report on measures to be adopted for the prevention of floods at St. Ives, Mr. Flood was sent to the River Ouse to prepare the necessary sections and tidal observations. In the autumn of 1876, and again in 1883, with Mr. G. N. Abernethy and other assistants, he made the necessary surveys for the deposited plans of the Wisbech Corporation Docks.
In 1879 Mr. Flood assisted in making the surveys for the Hull and Barnsley Railway Company’s dock at Hull, and in preparing the deposited plans and estimates, and after the Act was obtained in the following year he had entire charge of the drawing8 for that important work, in which he took great interest.
In 1880 he was engaged on the detailed drawings for the extension of the Alexandra (Newport) Dock; and in the 8ame year he made, also for Mr. Abernethy, the Parliamentary surveys, plans and estimates for the Boston Corporation Dock.
In 1881 he was engaged on the plans and surveys for extensive docks at Dagenham (the Thames deep-water docks). In 1881 he went with Mr. James Abernethy to South Wales and examined the Glamorganshire Canal in connection with the Bute Dock Bill of Session 1881. In the following year he was engaged on plane and surveys for a new line of railway between Hull and Lincoln for shortening the distance to London, and subsequently he assisted Mr. Abernethy in examining the drawings and designs for the Manchester Ship Canal, to which company Mr. Abernethy was Consulting Engineer.
In addition to the works already referred to, Mr. Flood assisted Mr. James Abernethy in many other matters and cases during his busy career, among which may be mentioned: in 1879 Nieuport Harbour, Belgium, Thames Conservators and Metropolitan Board of Works Arbitration, and Whitby Harbour Improvements; in 1886 Liverpool Corporation Water Bill, and tunnel under the River Medina, Isle of Wight ; in 1883 Bradford Water Bill, Ogmore Dock, and the proposed Isleworth lock and weir. Mr. Flood was an excellent mathematician and draughtsman.
He died at Denfield, Dorking, on the 28th December, 1901, aged 59.
Mr. Flood was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 2nd February, 1875, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.