Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,098 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1840 Baron Justus von Liebig developed a concentrated beef extract to provide a cheap and nutritious meat substitute.
1865 The Liebig Extract of Meat Co. was established in London, after George Christian Giebert, a young engineer, read of Liebig's work and wrote to him suggesting that they meet to discuss opening a manufacturing plant in South America.
1866 The company opened its factory, owned by the Societe de Fray Bentos Giebert and Cie, on the banks of the Uruguay River at Villa Independencia, Uruguay, later called Fray Bentos, where the extract was manufactured using the flesh of cattle that would otherwise have been killed for their hides alone, bringing the cost of meat to one third of the European cost.
1873 The company was successfully expanded until Justus von Liebig died. Liebig's began producing tinned corned beef, sold under the label Fray Bentos.
Later, freezer units were installed, enabling the company to export frozen and chilled raw meat as well.
1924 The Liebig Extract of Meat Co was acquired by the Vestey Group and the factory was renamed El Anglo.
1958 Manufacture of Fray Bentos meat pies started in England.
1968 Liebig merged with Brooke Bond.
1984 Acquired by Unilever.
2007 Closure of the King's Lynn depot where Fray Bentos pies were made