Frank Scott Russell
Frank Scott Russell (1878-1943), M.Inst. Brit.F., M.Inst. Met., F.G.S., Chairman and Managing Director of General Refractories
Trained with J. Grayson Lowood & Co., Ltd., Deepcar, near Sheffield
1913 Commenced the General Refractories Co., Ltd., along with E. P. Page, J. R. Horton, and E. J. Noble.
By 1922 Sec., Midland Refractories Co., Ltd., Ambergate and Sheffield; Man. Dir., Thomas Brooke & Sons, Ltd., Deepcar and Sheffield; Sec., Worksop Brick Co., Ltd.
1943 Obituary 
Mr. Frank Scott Russell, for many years a prominent figure in the refractories industry, died at Cheltenham on September 8, 1943, after a long illness.
Born at Hull in 1878, Mr. Russell began his career with a Sheffield firm of silversmiths, but later entered the refractories industry by joining J. Grayson Lowood and Company, Ltd., of Deepcar.
He was one of the founders of the Kelham Island Firebrick Company, Ltd., Sheffield, which later was amalgamated with a number of other companies in General Refractories, Ltd., of which Mr. Russell was Chairman and Managing Director.
After his retirement in 1939 from these positions and from positions in other companies, he moved from Sheffield to Cheltenham and devoted himself to the alleviation of the unemployment problem in South Wales. This he did mainly by helping in the establishment of new industries, and to this end he formed South Wales Magnesite, Ltd., and the Forest of Dean Stone Firms, Ltd.
Mr. Russell was Chairman of the London and Sheffield Publishing Company, Ltd., and in 1925 started the Refractories Journal. He also founded the British Steelmaker and helped in the launching of Claycraft and Cement, Lime, and Gravel.
He published a number of technical papers from time to time.
Mr. Russell was connected with numerous commercial firms and many scientific and trade organizations : he was a Past-President of the Refractories Association of Great Britain, the National Association of Clayworks Managers, the Institute of Quarrying, and the Yorkshire Firebrick Association; Hon. Secretary of the Sheffield Ganister and Compo Association; founder of the Limemasters' Association; a Fellow of the Geological Society, of the Royal Society of Arts, and of the Entomological Society ; and a member of the Institute of Metals (since 1918), of the Iron and Steel Institute, and the Institute of British Foundrymen.