Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frank Owen (1869-1901)
1901 Obituary 
FRANE OWEN, second son of the late Mr. William Owen, of the Foreign Office, and grandson of Sir Richard Owen, was born on the 13th July, 1869.
After attending lectures at the Royal School of Mines, South Kensington, he studied practical mining at the East Pool and the Tolgullow United mines in Cornwall in 1885 and 1886.
During the following year he was a pupil of Mr. Benedict Kitto, assayer and analytical chemist, and in 1888 he returned to Cornwall and went through a course of mining surveying under Mr. James Henderson, of Truro.
In 1889 Mr. Owen assisted in an examination of the Mount Morgan Gold Mine in Queensland. From 1890 to 1894 he was Assayer and Reduction Officer at the mines of the Frontino and Bolivia Gold Mining Company in the United States of Colombia.
He then filled a number of professional engagements, examining and reporting on gold, copper, tin, lead, zinc, and coal mines for London firms and companies, in the performance of which work he visited Norway, Spain, Mexico, the United States, South Africa, Western Australia, and the Malay Peninsula.
In Venezuela he acted for a time as the manager of a gold mine worked by an English company, and finally, in October 1900, he left for the Gold Coast Colony, as one of the engineers for an expedition sent out by the Ashanti Consols Company. Whilst engaged there examining gold-mining propositions for that Company, he died on the 13th July, 1901, from an attack of fever.
Mr. Owen enjoyed the reputation of being a thoroughly capable and reliable mining engineer. He was a Member of the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy, and of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, and a Fellow of the Geological Society.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 4th December, 1894.