Frank Lord ( -1934)
1934 Obituary 
FRANK LORD was occupied with the teaching of engineering subjects for practically the whole of his career.
He was born near Oldham and in 1896 he commenced a four years' apprenticeship in the Hartford New Works of Messrs. Platt Brothers and Company, after which he was awarded a scholarship by the firm, in addition to obtaining a Lancashire County Council scholarship; he then entered Owens College, Manchester. In 1901 he was awarded a Whitworth Exhibition, and graduated with honours in 1904.
He had commenced his first teaching work in the previous year as an evening instructor at the Borough Technical School, Todmorden. A year later he became a lecturer at the Northampton Polytechnic, Clerkenwell, and in 1906 he was appointed head of the Mechanical Engineering Department at Warrington Technical Institute, where he designed and superintended the equipment of the laboratory.
Five years later he joined Keighley Technical Institute in a similar capacity and was again concerned with the design of laboratory equipment.
From 1915 to 1918 he was engaged at the Royal Naval Torpedo Works, Greenock, in a technical capacity. After the War, Mr. Lord was appointed to the staff of the Department of Mathematics and Mechanics at the Imperial College of Science and Technology, South Kensington, where he remained until his death on 29th May 1934, in his fifty-fourth year.
In 1921 he contributed to the Proceedings of the Institution a paper on an analytical method of finding the velocity of rubbing of the shaft, crosshead pin, and crankpin in a direct-acting engine.
He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1906.