Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,980 pages of information and 229,143 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Francis Mackison (1822-1884)
1884 Obituary 
FRANCIS MACRISOK was born in the neighbourhood of Thornhill, ncar Doune, Perthshire, in 152-3. In his youth he attended Glasgow University, ancl passed through a regular engineering course with honours. Afterwards he served an apprenticeship with Mr. Jalnes Leslie, N. Inst. C.E., Edinburgh, then Harbour-Engineer for Dundee; and while in his service he was frequently engraged in surveys of the original Dundee Waterworks, on railway schemes and other important undertakings. On Nr. Leslie's leaving Dundee, Mr. Mackison, with several other of his assistants, accompanied him to Edinburgh, and there remained for several years in the same employment.
In 1848 he commenced business on his own account as a civil engineer and architect in Stirling, and ten years later was joined by his nephew, the business being carried on under the style of F. and W. Mackison until 1868, when it was dissolved on the junior partner receiving the appointment of Burgh Engineer for Dundee. From that date Mr. Mackison continued to carry on the several branches of his profession on his own behalf, and up to his death had an extensive and successful practice in the counties of Stirling, Clackmannan, and Perth.
Amongst the numerous undertakings with which he was connected was the engineering of the Stirling Waterworks at the Touch Hills (part of which was in progress under his supervision at the time of his death); the sewage-works of Bridge of Allan; various smaller water-supplies, river-protection works, drainage-schemes, the new hydropathic establishment at Callender ; the paving of the Burgh of Denny; the erection of a large number of Board Schools and numerous handsome villas in the neighbourhood of Stirling and Bridge of Allan. He also erected several churches, halls, and public buildings, together with a variety of farm-steadings.
He had also a large experience in surveying for railways, waterworks, and estates, and in parliamentary work.
During his residence in Stirling he took a warm and intelligent interest in public affairs. He was a town-councillor in Stirling, and attended carefully to the interests of the various town trusts.
As the result of his untiring efforts many public improvements were effected, and during his term of office he represented the Burgh on the district Lunacy Board. At the commencement of the volunteer movement, Mr. Mackison became a member of the 1st Stirlingshire regiment, and his devotion to the service was so marked, and he was so popular with all ranks, that when he undertook the formation of a second company he not only fully succeeded but was unanimously elected its Captain.
In 1882 he retired with the rank of Major and permission to wear the uniform of the corps. He attended the annual meetings of all the corps of volunteers as well as of his own corps, and it may safely be remarked that in a twenty-three years’ connection with the volunteers not a dozen letters of apology for absence were read from him. He was widely known and much respected, and enjoyed the confidence of the landed proprietors on whose estates he had been employed, Mr. Mackison was of an affable and vivacious disposition, and his open, lively countenance will be greatly missed, in not a few social circles, and in the public thoroughfares of Stirling and Bridge of Allan.
Mr. Mackison was elected a Member of this Institution on the 2nd of &fay, 1865. He died suddenly on the 13th of February, 1884.