Francis George Gibson
Francis George Gibson (1885-1943)
1944 Obituary 
FRANCIS GEORGE GIBSON after being employed as a colliery engineer for most of his professional career, became well known in the Newcastle upon Tyne district as an engineering consultant. He was born in 1885 and received his technical education at Sunderland Technical College. On the completion of his apprenticeship with the Ryhope Coal Company, Sunderland, in 1912, he joined the Whitehaven Colliery Company as mechanical draughtsman and engineer.
Two years later he was promoted to be chief mechanical engineer. This position, which he combined with that of consulting engineer to various industrial concerns in the vicinity, he held until 1925, when he became chief engineer to a group of collieries owned by the Charlaw and Sacristan Collieries Company, Ltd., Co. Durham, and Mr. Gibson was given control over the foundries as well as the central engineering and manufacturing shops. He resigned this appointment in 1932 and began to practise as a consulting engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, where he built up a considerable practice.
Mr. Gibson, whose death occurred on 20th November 1943, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1921, and was transferred to Membership in 1925.