Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,384 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Francis Edward Spencer (c1877-1941)
1941 Obituary 
FRANCIS EDWARD SPENCER, who died after a short illness on the 5th September, 1941, at the age of 64, was born at Derby.
He received his early education at Allenby House School, passing on to University College, Nottingham, for his technical education, after which, in 1897, he joined the staff of the Midland Railway Co. and served in their Nottingham, Leeds, and St. Pancras power stations.
In 1899 he went to Birkenhead as a switchboard attendant in the Corporation Electricity Department, becoming a shift engineer 2 years later, and Superintendent of Generating Stations in 1909. He was appointed Assistant Electrical Engineer to Mr. Shallcross in 1913 and succeeded him, on the latter's retirement in 1926, as Borough Electrical Engineer of Birkenhead. During this period the 6,600-volt distribution system, with rotary-convertor substations, was installed and Mr. Spencer was responsible for the whole of the change-over.
He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution in 1910 and a Member in 1928, and served on the Mersey and North Wales Local Centre Committee for a number of years, being Chairman of the Centre in the 1936-37 Session. He took a deep interest in The Institution Benevolent Fund and, as a keen golfer, was very active in organizing Golf Competitions in aid of the Fund, which have been instrumental in raising substantial sums. During his year of office as Chairman the first dance to be held by the Liverpool Centre in aid of the Fund was a great success, largely due to his efforts, and in this and subsequent years an increasing support for the Benevolent Fund resulted.