Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,643 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Business interests of the Fox family of Cornwall
1762 G. C. Fox (Shipping Brokers) was a major shipping agency and broker in the growing freight port of Falmouth. The company was established in 1762 and passed out of family control on 30 September 2003. It remains the oldest ship agency company in Falmouth
Alfred Fox was heavily engaged in the pilchard industry of Cornwall. Much of the output was salted fish for export to Catholic Southern Europe.
1780 Robert Were Fox (1754 - 1818), son of George Croker Fox ( - d.1807) became principal partner in the family firm, G. C. Fox and Sons, which position he held until 1810.
1788 Robert Were Fox married Elizabeth (1768–1849), the daughter of Joseph and Sarah Tregelles of Falmouth, with whom he had six sons, the eldest being the geologist and physicist Robert Were Fox FRS (1789–1877), and the younger was Charles Fox (1797–1878) mine owner and writer.
1793 The Perran partners acquired the Neath Abbey Iron Works
1813 In partnership with the Williams Family, the Foxes developed the harbour at Portreath and a trackway to the mines from there. Portreath became of strategic importance in the trade of copper ore and coal between Cornwall and south Wales.
1794 Robert Were Fox (1754 - 1818) was appointed consul to the USA for the port of Falmouth, a position he held until succeeded by his son Robert Were Fox FRS, in 1815.
1842 Charles Fox's nephew, Barclay Fox, became General Manager of Perran Foundry.
1844 The South Maria Mine was opened and worked by George Croker Fox and others under the name of Tincroft.
The Foxes had interests in Tin and Copper mining – supplying credit, pumping engines, imported materials: timber balks, coal - and Coal Mining - Neath Abbey Coal Co (in partnership with the Price Family and the Tregelles Family).
For 200 years, the Fox family carried out the timber trade, with depots at Penryn, Falmouth, Truro and Grampound Road. In 1957, the business was merged with Harveys of Hayle.