Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Les Forges de la Risle, Pont-Audemer, France
William Mackenzie and Thomas Brassey established a foundry at Eauplet, Rouen, and went into partnership with John Oliver York at Navarre Works, Evreux, and, in 1844, at Forges de Risle. Big losses were incurred at both. Makenzie called York a 'barefaced thief'. William Johnson (previously of Horseley Ironworks and Brymbo ironworks) was brought in as liquidator 
1847 Advertisement (with original spelling): 'CAPITALISTS CONNECTED WITH THE IRON TRADE AND RAILWAYS —TO be DISPOSED OF, and may be entered on immediately, in good working order, with workmen properly appointed, all those New and Substantially- erected WORKS, called the " Forges de la Rislie," in Pont-Audemer, capable of Manufacturing 200 Tons of Iron per week The present Proprietors having other important engagements, the sole cause of their being parted with. The most satisfactory information will be given to parties who may be really desirous of purchasing ; and those may wish to realize good interest for their capital, with little or no risk, the present offers every inducement and advantage. The whole Establishment has been erected within the last two years, regardless of expense : and it is undoubtedly equal if not superior to anything of the kind in France, or any other country, not omitting England, which stands unrivalled in the world. The Works embrace three excellent Water Wheels, of the aggregate power of 180-horses : these give motion and power to Machinery for Working a Sheet and Plate Mill ; a Forge, with twenty Puddling Furnaces: Ball, Scrap, and Re-heating Furnaces : a Steam Hammer or Drawing-out Forge; a Mill for Rolling Axles, Tyres, Rails, and every kind of Iron for Railway purposes, and a Bar or Merchant Mill for Iron of almost every description. The whole is covered over with most excellent and large slated Roofs, supported by Cast-iron Columns and Brick Arches. Vessels of nearly 100-tons burthen come up to and Discharge their Cargoes of Iron and Coal into the depots for that purpose, which are most conveniently arranged for the advantages of the Works. The offices, Houses for Managers and Workmen, and also for Principals, are all that could be desired : in fact, the whole Establishment should be seen to be duly appreciated. The Proprietors will treat liberally with any Person or Company who may willing to Purchase the whole as it is now in operation, or they will Dispose of the Plant and Machinery which can be made applicable, at little cost, for Rolling Zinc, Copper, and other Metals, without the Stock.—Further particulars may obtained applying to Mr. Johnson. at the Works ; or of Mr. Favrin, No. 144. Avenue des Champs Elysées, Paris: of Mr. Charles Davise, No. 8, Adam-street, Adelphi, London; Mr. Charles H. Capper, Birmingham; or Mr. G. O. Brown, Auctioneer, Rotherham, Yorkshire.'