Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,355 pages of information and 230,031 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1909 the Fire Offices' Committee (representing fire insurance companies) established a fire testing station in Manchester.
Most of its work was devoted to improving the fire resistance of buildings.
1935 the committee erected a new Fire Testing Station at Borehamwood, in which furnaces for testing fire resistance were installed. The station was made available to the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and to the Building Research Station for a programme of research on the fire resistance of structures and for testing proprietary forms of structures on behalf of manufacturers who wanted reports of performance from the department.
1939 DSIR set up a small section at the Building Research Station to carry out research on certain engineering problems associated with fire fighting.
WWII fire research was undertaken by the Fire Research Division of the Ministry of Home Security; in April 1946 this division was taken over by the DSIR.
1946 The Fire Testing Station was transferred to the government. A Fire Research Board was appointed to make recommendation for fire research and to supervise the conduct of investigations at the station
1949 The station was renamed the Fire Research Station.