Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,355 pages of information and 230,031 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1946 The Department of Scientific and Industrial Research and the Fire Offices' Committee (representing fire insurance companies) established a Joint Fire Research Organisation to conduct research on all aspects of prevention and extinction of fires, safety of life in fires and the mitigation of damage, working in collaboration with the Building Research Organisation on fire resistance of buildings.
The costs of the organisation were shared equally by the department and the committee; as part of its contribution to the capital cost, the committee transferred its Fire Testing Station to the government.
The Fire Research Board was appointed to make recommendation for fire research and to supervise the conduct of investigations at the station
1949 The Fire Testing Station was renamed the Fire Research Station.
1965 responsibility for the Joint Fire Research Organisation was passed to the Ministry of Technology and the board ceased to function.
1970 The research station was transferred to the Department of Trade and Industry
1971 Transferred to the Department of the Environment
Some facilities for fire testing undertaken by the station in association with the Fire Offices' Committee, mostly routine in character, were transferred to that committee.
The station is now mainly engaged on research leading to the specification of requirements for fire prevention and to the formulation of suitable testing methods.
1993 Became an executive agency
1994 the Station moved to the Building Research Establishment site at Garston, near Watford.