Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,148 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Adelphi Iron Works, Adelphi Street, Salford.
1860 Dissolution of the Partnership between Thomas Farmer, James Farmer, and James Broughton, of Adelphi-street Iron Works, in Salford, in the county of Lancaster, as Millwrights and Engineers, under the firm of J. and T. Farmer and Coy. James Farmer and James Broughton would handle the debts, etc.
1863 Slater's Directory of Manchester and Salford, 1863 lists James Broughton, engineer (Farmer & Broughton): home address - Talavera Place, Lower Broughton and James Farmer, engineer. Farmer & Broughton listed as millwrights, engineers, machinists, makers of bleachers', calenderers', embossers' and finishers' machines, & cotton & flax bowl manufacturers, Adelphi Iron Works, Adelphi Street, Salford.
1869 Dissolution of the Partnership between James Farmer and James Broughton, as Millwrights and Engineers, at the Adelphi-street Iron Works, in Salford, in the county of Lancaster, under the style or firm of Farmer and Broughton
Two machines made by Farmer & Broughton were included in a sale of plant at the Liquorice Works, Frodsham (presumably MacAndrew and Co) reported in 'The Engineer' in 1872. One was a double action force pump with a cylinder of about 6" dia., the other a 'Very fine table engine with vacuum pump, by Farmer and Broughton, with inverted steam cylinder about 16in. bore and 30in. stroke, mounted on handsome independent entablature and columns. The vacuum pump below, with cold water cistern, is worked from an engine crank shaft direct. Fly-wheel turned for belt 8in. Diameter, high-speed governors, equilibrium valve, &c…'