Farfield Mill, Garsdale Road, Sedbergh, Cumbria LA10 5LW
This small water-powered textile mill closed in the 1990s, but has been reopened to serve a variety of uses: museum, working weaving mill, shops, artists' studios, craft workshops, café.
There are several items of textile machinery on display, while two Dobcross Power looms (Hutchinson and Hollingworth of Diggle, Saddleworth) are in use commercially.
Also displayed is a 300-year old blanket loom. It is a timber framed four heddle hand loom and has been used to weave horse collar check and woollen blankets since 1702. A flying shuttle mechanism was added around 1800.
An 1896 water turbine can be seen, ordered for Farfield Mill from Gilbert Gilkes and Gordon of Kendal (Gilkes' number 066). It was a Vortex turbine with a rated power output of 20HP