Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ernest Newell (1868-1932) of Ernest Newell and Co
1932 Obituary 
ERNEST NEWELL, who was managing director of the Misterton firm of engineers bearing his name, had built up a flourishing business by specializing at an early date on the manufacture of ball and tube mills and rotary kilns for cement works, which had then just been introduced.
He was born in Leeds in 1868 and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Hathorn, Davey and Company. He was subsequently appointed assistant engineer to Messrs. Edward Ripley and Sons of Bradford, with whom he remained until 1898.
He then joined the board of directors of the Woods Patent Mills and Engineering Company, a small engineering works which had supplied cement machinery to China and Australia as early as 1800. The name of the firm was presently changed to Ernest Newell and Company.
In 1908 a rotary kiln was built with a capacity of 60,000 tons per annum of Portland cement on the wet process, which was the largest rotary kiln operating at that date. Gold and diamond mining machinery was also exported to Africa, India, and Australia. The company also specialized in castings for the electrical industry, the foundry having a capacity of 300 tons per month and being capable of producing castings up to 15 tons in weight. Large contracts in elevating, conveying, and grinding machinery were also carried out.
Mr. Newell was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1896 and was transferred to Membership in 1904.
His death occurred at Harrogate on 24th June 1932.