Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,109 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ernest Lawson Mansergh (1866-1933) of James Mansergh and Sons
"THE LATE MR. E. L. MANSERGH.
The news of the sudden death of Mr. Ernest Lawson Mansergh in a nursing home, on October 22, will be received with regret by a wide circle in the engineering profession. For many years a partner in the firm of Messrs. James Mansergh and Sons, civil engineers, 5, Victoria-street, London, S.W.1, Mr. Mansergh was a son of the late Mr. James Mansergh, F.R.S., president of the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1900-01, and was born on April 13, 1866. In October, 1884, he was articled to his father for three years, during which time he was engaged in the preparation of drawings, quantities, and reports connected with various sewerage, sewage-disposal, and other works. He also assisted the resident engineers on the Burton sewerage scheme and on the Stockton and Middlesbrough Waterworks. In October, 1887, he was given charge of the construction of a small water-supply works at Newport, Essex, and, in the following January, returned to his father’s office as assistant. He became engaged in the preparation of designs for the Worthing Pier extension, and the Stockton and Middlesbrough, Mountain Ash, and Bristol Waterworks, and also on work connected with the Lancaster Borough Extension Bill. The year beginning July, 1888, was spent as resident engineer on the Worthing Pier extension, the works including a new pier head, concert hall and a steamboat landing stage.
Mr. Mansergh went to Melbourne in September, 1889, to assist his father in the collection of data for a report to the Government of Victoria on the drainage and sewerage of Melbourne and its environs, the district involved having an area of 133 sq. miles. On his return, in the following year, he became engaged, jointly with Mr. G. R. Strachan, in working out six alternative schemes and preparing detailed estimates for these. In the beginning of 1897 he entered into partnership with his father and assisted him in the preparation of numerous reports and the subsequent construction of works for water-supply, sewerage and other schemes. Prominent among these was the Elan Valley Water scheme of the Birmingham Corporation. This formed the subject of a masterly paper entitled “The Works for the Supply of Water to the City of Birmingham from Mid-Wales,” contributed jointly by Messrs. E. L. and W. L. Mansergh, to the proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, on April 2, 1912. For their contribution the two brothers were awarded Telford Gold Medals, which were presented to them on November 5, 1912. Since the death of their father in 1905, Mr. E. L. Mansergh and his brother have continued to act as consulting engineers for many water-supply, sewerage, and other civil engineering undertakings and have been responsible for the construction of numerous works. Mr. E. L. Mansergh was a former student-member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, became an associate-member on May 5, 1891, and was transferred to the class of member on March 27, 1900."
* 1933 Obituary
CIVIL engineers will deeply regret the loss of Ernest Lawson Mansergh, who died at Woking on Sunday last, October 22nd. Mr. Mansergh, who was born in 1866, was educated at Queenwood College, Rants, and the University College School, London. He began his career as an engineer immediately after leaving school and was articled in 1884 to his father, the late James Mansergh, F.R.S. During his three years pupilage he acted as an assistant engineer on the construction of the Hury reservoir of the Stockton and Middlesbrough Water Board. He then joined his father and was later made a partner in the firm of James Mansergh and Sons, which was constituted in 1902. Since the death of James Mansergh in 1905 he had been tho senior partner of the firm, in partnership with his brother, Walter L. Mansergh M. Inst. C.E. He was largely responsible for the design and supervision of the construction of many important works of water supply and sewerage, both in this country and abroad, among which may be mentioned the several reservoirs and the aqueduct in connection with the Elan Valley water supply for the City of Birmingham; the Blackton, Long Newton, and Grassholme reservoirs for the Tees Valley Water Board; the Font reservoir of the Tynemouth Corporation; the Castle Carrock reservoir and works in connection with the Celtsdale supply for the City of Carlisle. He was also consulting engineer to the Fylde Water Board in connection with the Stocks reservoir; the Langthwaite reservoir for the Lancaster Corporation, now in colurse of construction; and the sewerage and sewage disposal works for the municipality of Colombo, Ceylon. He was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and the Institution of Water Engineers, and a founder member of the Association of Consulting Engineers and its chairman for 1920 to 1921.