Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,439 pages of information and 211,690 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Ernest Egbert Cockcroft

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Ernest Egbert Cockcroft (1878-1934)


1934 Obituary [1]

ERNEST EGBERT COCKCROFT was for the last fifteen years of his life employed on the staff of Messrs. Pilkington Brothers, St. Helens, and was responsible for design work in connexion with the improvement of plant for the manufacture of plate glass.

He was born at Brighouse, Yorks, in 1878, and received his technical education privately and at the Mechanics' Institute, Bradford.

He entered the drawing office of Messrs. Campbell, Halifax, as an apprentice in 1892, and later gained practical experience in the Bradford shops of Messrs. Charles Bell, hydraulic engineers.

He then assisted Mr. Ernest Newell, A.M.I.Mech.E., who was at that time chief engineer to Messrs. Ripleys, Bradford. In 1897 he returned to Messrs. Campbell and served in the drawing office, but after two years he again went to Bradford and joined Messrs. Dracup and Nowell, consulting engineers, with whom he remained until 1904.

He was employed until 1909 in the drawing offices of several well-known engineering firms, and was chiefly engaged on the design of internal combustion engines.

He then became a draughtsman at the British Westinghouse Engineering and Manufacturing Company's works at Manchester, and was promoted to chief draughtsman in the horizontal gas-engine section in 1911. His designs included a device for exchanging a gas valve for a vaporizer to enable an engine to use either gas or petrol as fuel.

During the War he was engaged on experimental work in connexion with the running of vehicles by coal gas.

In 1919 he took up his appointment with Messrs. Pilkington.

He was elected to Associate Membership of the Institution in 1912.

His death occurred at St. Helens on 2nd January 1934.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information