Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Eric Spencer Stanford (1883-1945)
1945 Obituary 
ERIC SPENCER STANFORD, whose death occurred on 28th January 1944, was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1903 and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1911. In addition he was an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He was born in 1883 and after receiving his education at the City of London School served his apprenticeship with Messrs. James Simpson, makers of water works plant, Westminster from 1899 to 1904, meanwhile attending classes at Battersea Polytechnic.
In the latter year he went to sea and served as fourth and third engineer in steamships owned by F. C. Strick and Company. Later he was fourth engineer of Messrs. Houlder Brothers and Company's S.S. Hornby Grange and during this time obtained his extra first-class Board of Trade Certificate. In 1909, after being temporarily employed as draughtsman with Messrs. James Simpson and Company he was appointed engineer surveyor to the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, for whom he inspected and reported upon all classes of factory power plant. Four years later he became assistant manager to Messrs. A. C. Porter and Company, artesian well engineers and pump makers.
After a brief period during 1915 as a designer with the Contraflo Condenser and Kinetic Air Pump Company, Ltd., he joined the Royal Exchange Assurance Company, with whom he remained for twelve years. During this period he was engaged on engineering inspection for insurance purposes. From 1927 to 1929 he was a director of Messrs. H. Eldred and Company, Ltd., of Westminster, for whom he also acted as assistant engineer. In the latter year he joined the Cirrus Hermes Engineering Company, Ltd., and was engaged as draughtsman on aero-engine design. Two years later he was employed for a brief period in a similar capacity at the works of the Blackburne Engine Company, motor car engine designers and manufacturers. Transferring his services in 1933 to Messrs. Frank B. Halford, he was concerned with the design of aero-engines until 1938, when he entered upon his final position with Messrs. de Havilland.