English Electric Valve Co
From Graces Guide
English Electric Valve Co of Chelmsford, Essex.
1944 Made magnetrons for radar
1947 Private company. Established by English Electric Co to hold the valve business it acquired in taking over Marconi. Supplied valves to Marconi as well as new valve uses developed by English Electric Co's other businesses.
1951 Marconi Image Orthicon tubes had been used in several countries for outside broadcasts; these were made by English Electric Valve Co at Chelmsford
1951 Started production of cathode ray tubes and television tubes.
1960 English Electric Valve Co's interests in transistors merged into the JV company Associated Transistors formed with Automatic Telephone and Electric Co and Ericsson Telephones to manufacture transistors in greater quantities.
1961 Manufacturers of electric valves, tubes and other devices.
1964 Acquired AEI's valve business based in Lincoln
1968 Queen's Award to Industry for Technological Innovation.
1968 Power Tetrode for use in amplifiers.
1969 Formation of GEC Electronic Tubes to bring together M-O Valve Co and English Electric Valve Co, a company which would have half of UK valve production, the largest specialised valve manufacturer outside USA.
1988 Name changed to EEV Ltd
1999 Name changed to Marconi Applied Technologies
Sources of Information
- The Times, 22 March 1951
- The Times, 24 December 1960
- The Times, 8 September 1960
- * 1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE
- The Times, 22 April 1969