Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,701 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of English Electric Co
1919 English Electric bought the Stafford works of Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works.
1930 Three sets of automatic substation equipment for the Ise Electric Railway of Japan, each susbstation having a capacity of 4 MW, with four 1 MW rotary converters.
High-resolution 1950 photo of rotary rectifier at Jervois Quay, New Zealand, here.
1950s Was part of the consortium Atomic Power Construction Company Ltd, which built the Sizewell 'A' and Hinkley Point 'A' nuclear power stations.
1958 A new company was formed, English Electric, Babcock and Wilcox and Taylor Woodrow Atomic Power Construction Co Ltd, which would complete the Hinkley 'A' contract
1966 Partner in the new Nuclear Design and Construction company
c.1968 The turbo-generators business became part of English Electric-AEI Turbine Generators. It subsequently became GEC Turbine-Generators, then GEC-Alsthom, then ALSTOM. What remains, at Willans Works, Rugby, is currently owned by GE.
Note: Includes turbines made by Willans and Robinson.
PS = Power Station
TA = Turbine-alternator unit
HP =High Pressure
LP = Low Pressure
Dates are, generally, approximate commissioning dates
Note: Many power stations contained turbine-generators from a variety of makers. Only EE Co sets listed below.
Back o' th' Bank Power Station (Bolton): 12.5 MW TA (1923). Displayed at Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry, but access to the public is now denied.
Bankside Power Station: One 120 MW TA (1963)
Barnes PS: Two 1.5 MW, one 3.5 MW TA
Belvedere PS (Kent): Four 60 MW TAs (1960)
Blackburn Meadows PS (Sheffield): Two 30 MW TAs
Blackwall Point PS: Three 30 MW TAs (1951-2)
Blyth 'B': Two 275 MW and two 350 MW TAs (1962-6)
Bradford PS: One 20 MW, two 30 MW TAs
Bromborough PS: Four 52.5 MW TAs (1951-2)
Cockenzie PS: Four 300 MW TAs
Dounreay PFR: One 250 MW TA
Fleetwood PS: Three 30 MW TA (1955)
Fulham PS: One 60 MW TA
Hinkley Point 'A' Nuclear PS: Six 93.5 MW TAs, three 30 MW variable frequency TAs
Huddersfield PS: Two 20 MW TA
Kodak Ltd, Harrow: Two 3.6 MW, one 5 MW TA (1960s - 1970s?)
Leicester (Freeman's Meadow): One 25 MW, one 1.5 MW TA
Lincoln Spa Road PS: One 750 kW Willans-Westinghouse coupled to a rotary convertor producing DC
Longannet PS (Fife): Four 300 MW TA (1970-3)
Mexborough PS: Four 30 MW TAs (1945 - 1957)
Percival Lane PS: Three 30 MW TAs
Reading PS One 3.75 MW TA
Ribble PS (Preston): 'A' Station - Four 15 MW TAs, 6.6 kV (1925); 'B' Station - four 31.5 MW, TAs, 11 kV (1943-4)
Salisbury PS: One 0.75, one 0.55 MW TA, 11 kV
Stafford PS: Two 3 MW, 6.6 kV (1925-7)
Stourport PS: 'A' Station: Three 30 MW TAs; 'B' Station. 'B' Station: two 60 MW TAs, 11 kV. TA2, when commissioned in 1954, had the most advanced steam conditions of any turbine in the UK's public supply system, at 1500 psi, 1050°F
Thornhill PS (Dewsbury): Two 30 MW TAs, 10.5 kV (1932–37); three 45 MW TAs, 10.5 kV
Treforest Power Station: 16 MW TA (1927)
Warrington PS: Three 20 MW TAs (commissioned 1940, 1944 and 1946)
West Ham 'B' PS: Four 30 MW TAs (1950s)
Much of the above information is from Wikipedia entries for former power stations in England.
Athens, St. George's Bay PS: Three 15 MW TAs and Transformers (c.1929)
Budapest: Three 23 MW and one 2.1 MW turbines, to drive Ganz generators.
Dhranghadra State Chemical Works: 1125 kW back pressure TA (1927)
J. Clark Keith PS (Ontario): Four 66 MW TAs (1950s)
Pretoria West PS (South Africa): Six 30 MW TA (1952)
Rooiwal PS (South Africa): Five 60 MW TAs (1963)
Vales Point PS (Australia): Three 200 MW TAs (early 1960s)
White Bay PS (NSW, Australia): Two 18.75 MW TAs (1927-8)