Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,253 pages of information and 205,637 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Elliott Automation Group, of Lewisham, London, the holding company for a collection of companies involved in process control and automation including a company active in the development of computers in the 1950s–60s in the United Kingdom.
Originated as a firm of instrument makers Elliott Brothers founded in London around 1800.
1950 Elliott Automation formed as private company.
1957 Elliott Automation issued shares to the shareholders of Elliott Brothers and Associated Automation to effect a merger of the 2 companies, forming 'the largest automation and instrumentation company in Europe'. Elliott Brothers continued to exist as a subsidiary company of Elliott Automation Group.. Leon Bagrit became deputy chairman and managing director.
1960 Elliott Automation acquired Isotope Developments (Beenham), a subsidiary of Isotope Developments in order to avoid duplication by both companies in the nucleonic instruments field. Isotope Developments changed its name to Nucleonic Investments Ltd
1960 Bendix Corporation sold its remaining shareholding in Elliott Automation.
1961 Manufacturers of automation systems; "Bendix" aviation instrumentation and specialised process control equipment; electrical recorders and switchboard instruments, industrial weighing equipment; "Fisher" fluid control equipment; valves and regulators, "Swartwout" electronic control systems, "Swift" weighing machines and "Swallow" food preparing machinery. 8,500 employees.
1961 Elliott Automation purchased Firth Cleveland Instruments; the business would continue from the same site under the name Elliott (Treforest).
1963 Elliott Automation acquired Perl Controls and Baldwin Instrument Co of Dartford; Baldwin had 2 areas of operation: nucleonic instrumentation and fluid power equipment, both complementary to Elliott's existing activities - i.e. Elliott Nucleonics and Isotope Developments in nucleonics. Created new Satchwell Controls divisions - one at East Kilbride and the other at Slough; Perl Controls was expanded to cover all of the gas controls of Satchwell
1967 in the first deal arranged by the Industrial Reorganization Corporation, English Electric Co took over Elliott Automation to form the leading European group in computing and process control.
1968 the computer activities of this group were taken over by International Computers and Tabulators (ICT), encouraged by the British Government who believed that the U.K. required a strong national computer company. The combined company was called International Computers Ltd (ICL).
1969 Elliott Automation became part of GEC-Elliott Automation, the managing group for automation within GEC.