Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Electronic Rentals and General Holdings

From Graces Guide

1948 Selecter Plantations, having lost its rubber plantations during WWII, became an investment company, and acquired a majority holding in Metropolitan Relays Ltd and a large minority interests in Scotts Libraries Ltd.

1949 Metropolitan Relays Ltd formed Birmet Television Manufacturing Co for the purposes of making televisions for rental at its Battersea factory.

Subsequently formed Metropolitan Radio and Television Ltd

1955 Formed Visionhire Ltd

1957 Acquired Pneumatic Tent Co

1958 Sold the libraries and the audio-relay networks

Visionhire (Great Britain) Ltd took on rental of televisions in the Manchester area

1959 Agreement with Philips Electrical for supply of televisions. Name of holding company changed to Electronic Rentals and General Holdings

1959 Incorporated as a public company

1964 Acquired Relay Vision[1].

1978 Owned two of the 6 television rental companies examined by the Price Commission - Relay Vision and Visionhire; the latter was one of 2 companies singled out as having a high degree of profitability and was recommended for a price freeze[2]

1987 Soon after the Stock Market Crash, Granada made a take-over for Electronic Rentals Group which had 450 television shops (but less than Granada's 620)[3]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times, Jul 14, 1964
  2. The Times Sept. 21, 1978
  3. The Times Dec. 31, 1987
  • The Times Oct. 14, 1959