Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,443 pages of information and 207,227 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Eleanor Coade

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Eleanor Coade (1733-1821)

See Coade Stone

1733 June 3rd. Born in Exeter, the elder daughter of George Coade, wool merchant, and his wife, Eleanor, daughter of Thomas Enchmarch, a wool merchant, of Tiverton, Devon.

1769 George Coade died, bankrupt, and later in the year Eleanor joined Daniel Pincot, who was in business at Narrow Wall, Lambeth, making artificial stone.

1771 Eleanor Coade sacked Pincot for representing himself, instead of her, as the proprietor of the factory.

Appointed John Bacon as supervisor, and he set a very high standard of design and continued with the firm until the end of his life.

1799 Eleanor Coade took her cousin John Sealy as a partner, and the firm became Coade and Sealy. A showroom was opened at the east end of Westminster Bridge

1821 Death notice: 'On the 18th ult., at her residence in Camberwell-grove, in her 89th year, Mrs. Eleanor Coade, sole institutor and proprietor of the celebrated artificial stone manufactory, Lambeth.'[1]

1822 House advertised for sale by Mr Croggon, auctioneer, by order of executors of Mrs Eleanor Coade: 'A Capital and substantial brick built DWELLING HOUSE, delightfully situate in that respectable and much admired spot the Paragon, Blackheath, being No. 2. The premises are in excellent repair, handsomely furnished and fitted with every convenience, containing eight bed rooms and closets, handsome drawing and dining rooms, breakfast parlour, library, large china closet, light kitchens, servants' hall, and convenient offices, excellent and ample cellaring and walled garden,.....'[2]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Evening Mail, Monday 10 December 1821
  2. Morning Chronicle, 6 November 1822