Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,972 pages of information and 233,612 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edwin Robert Walker (1848-1923) of Walker Brothers (Wigan)
1923 Obituary 
EDWIN ROBERT WALKER, J.P., was born at Wigan in October 1848, and was educated at the Wigan Grammar School.
After having served his apprenticeship at Haigh Foundry, he joined his brothers, J. S. and T. A. Walker, in 1869, in an engineering business at Queen Street, Wigan, subsequently removing to Pagefield Ironworks, where the business is now carried on as Walker Brothers (Wigan), Ltd., of which he was deputy chairman at the time of his death.
In 1913 he was appointed a County Magistrate. During the War he threw all his energies into munition making, the Pagefield Ironworks being under Government control. This strenuous work led to a complete breakdown in health, and he was compelled to winter abroad in 1919.
Having undergone a serious operation in June, 1923, he was unable to rally, and his death took place at his residence in Southport on 5th September 1923, in his seventy-fifth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1902; he was also a Member of the Manchester Association of Engineers.