Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edwin Adams (1862-1912) of Hulse and Co
1912 Obituary 
EDWIN ADAMS was born in Manchester in 1862.
He received his technical education at the Owens College, Manchester, where he was twice placed first in the examination for the Ashbury Exhibition.
He served his apprenticeship from 1880 to 1887 in the locomotive workshops of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway at Gorton, and on its completion he was engaged as a draughtsman in Messrs. Hulse and Co.'s Works, Salford. During 1888-9 he took charge of the firm's exhibits at Melbourne, and on his return to Salford he was employed as foreman at the works until 1892, when he was appointed assistant manager. In 1894 he became outside representative of the firm, both at home and abroad, and on its conversion into a company in 1898 he was made a director.
This position he held until the death of Mr. Henry Bates in 1903, when he was appointed managing director; he retained this post until his death which took place at Alderley Edge on 28th September 1912, at the age of fifty.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1897.
1912 Obituary 
EDWIN ADAMS died at his residence at Alderley Edge on September 28, 1912, after a very brief illness, at the age of fifty. He was the managing director of the well-known firm of machine tool-makers, Hulse & Co., Limited, Salford, Manchester - a position he had filled with conspicuous success for the past nine years.
He was born in Manchester, and received his engineering education at Owens College, where he was on two occasions placed first for the Ashbury Exhibition, and obtained a special engineering prize in 1884. He served his apprenticeship at the Gorton workshops of the then Manchester, Sheffield, & Lincolnshire—and now the Great Central—Railway, as a pupil of the late Mr. Charles Sacre, at that time the engineer of the line, and here he acquired experience which has since proved of great practical value in connection with the tools required for the equipment of railway workshops. After being at Gorton for some years, he started in the drawing-office of Messrs. Hulse & Co., and after serving in the works in various capacities was appointed their outside representative. When the firm was converted into a limited liability company in 1898 he was made a director, and in 1903 he was appointed managing director.
He was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1904.