Edward John Bolton
Edward John Bolton (1887-1939), director and sales manager of Thomas Bolton and Sons
1939 Obituary 
EDWARD JOHN BOLTON was a director and sales manager of Messrs. Thomas Bolton and Sons, Ltd., copper smelters, refiners, and manufacturers, Widnes, with which company he had been connected for the greater part of his career.
He was born at Oakamoor, North Staffs, in 1887, and went to Abbotsholme School from 1898 to 1903. Thence he went to the University of Birmingham until 1908. He served his apprenticeship at his father's works, Messrs. Thomas Bolton and Sons, Birmingham, and was appointed engineer manager of their Broad Street Metal Works in 1908. At this period he joined the 2nd North Midland Field Company, R.E., and was gazetted Lieutenant, later taking over command of the signals side. In 1910 he also passed the Royal Automobile Club's examination for officer's certificate in mechanical proficiency. In this year Mr. Bolton supervised the construction and equipment of Messrs. Bolton's new works at Froghall for the manufacture of wire, sheets, blading for steam turbines, etc., and in 1913 he was made a local director of the Oakamoor and Froghall works.
In 1924 he was transferred to the company's head office at Widnes, and, following the death of his father, was made a director of the company in 1937.
A year later Mr. Bolton came to London, but he died shortly afterwards on 27th January 1939. Mr. Bolton joined the Institution as a Graduate in 1905, and gave a paper to the Graduates' Section in 1906 on "The Manufacture of Brass Wire". He was elected an Associate Member in 1912 and was transferred to Membership in 1923.
1939 Obituary 
The early death of Mr. Edward J. Bolton, which occurred with unexpected suddenness on January 27, 1939, has been a very great shock to his Company, and his loss will be severely felt by the large circle of his friends and business associates.
The son of the late Mr. Thomas Bolton, he was born in 1887 and educated at Abbotsholme School and at Birmingham University. He joined the Birmingham branch of Thomas Bolton & Sons, Ltd., in 1908, and subsequently transferred to Froghall, Widnes, and to London.
In 1913 he was appointed Local Director and, on his father's death in 1937, he became Director of the Company.
His engaging personality was immediately felt by all those with whom he came in contact, and each could not fail to be impressed by his invariable kindness and courtesy. In business circles he was held in the highest esteem, his straight dealing and wise breadth of outlook on all questions being apparent to all. His death has brought a promising career to an unexpected close.
Mr. Bolton was a member of many Engineering and Scientific societies and was elected a member of the Institute of Metals in 1912.