Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,121 pages of information and 227,783 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward John Mines Davies (1861-1904)
Married Mary Ann Dyer
1901 Living at 20 harrington Square, Somers Town, St. Pancras: Edward J. M. Davies (age 40 born Swansea), Civil and mechanical Enginer (Disengaged). With his wife Mary Davies (age 38 born Bristol) and their children; Mary G. M. Davies (age 16 born Kensington); Ethel G. H. Davies (age 15 born Belgravia); Edward V. H. Davies (age 11 born Switzerland); David C. M. Davies (age 8 born St. Pancras). One boarder.
1904 Obituary 
EDWARD JOHN MINES DAVIES was born at Swansea on 12th February 1861, and was the grandson and son of the late David Davies and Son, proprietors of the Cwmfelin Tin Plate Works, near Swansea.
He received his theoretical training at the University College, Bristol, and Owens College, Manchester, and obtained a Whitworth Scholarship in 1881. He also received a Miller prize from the Institution of Civil Engineers, and was Honours Medallist of the Science and Art Department and City and Guilds of London Institution.
From 1875 to 1880 he served his apprenticeship at the Avonside Engine Works, Bristol, and had since been with many leading engineers both at home and abroad, among which may be mentioned Messrs. Goodfellow, of Hyde, near Manchester, Messrs. R. Hornsby and Sons, of Grantham, Messrs. Sulzer Brothers, of Winterthur, Switzerland, The Great Eastern Railway Company, Mr. William Shelford, of Great George Street, London, and was at the time of his death engaged by the Underground Electric Railways Co., of London.
He was also for some years lecturer of Mathematics and Engineering at the Gravesend Technical School, Wandsworth Technical Institute, and the South Tottenham Polytechnic.
His death took place in London from enteric typhoid fever, on 18th June 1904, at the age of forty-three.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1885.
1904 Obituary