Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,981 pages of information and 229,144 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Henry Bold (1841-1900)
1900 Obituary 
EDWARD HENRY BOLD, born at Clitheroe, Lancashire, in 1841, began his engineering career in the shops of Messrs. Bridge and Barnes, machinists, of Accrington.
In 1861 he left England for Victoria, where he was engaged for eighteen months under Mr. R. Millett in setting out and levelling roads and in surveying occupation lands in the Benalla District, Goulbourn River.
In 1863 he proceeded to New Zealand and entered the Government service. He was at first engaged in constructing 8 miles of the Lawrence and Clyde Road, and acted as Inspector for the construction and maintenance of 94 miles of cart roads in the same district.
In 1865 he was employed under Mr. John Rochfort, District Surveyor to the Canterbury Government, in exploring for road lines and in making surveys for a coal mine reserve on the River Grey, and in September of the same year he was appointed Assistant Surveyor and Mining Surveyor to the same Government, under Mr. Davie, Chief Surveyor of the Canterbury Province, to direct and inspect land and road surveys and works relating to alluvial gold mining.
In July, 1867, he was appointed, by the New Zealand Government, Telegraph Surveyor for the North Island, and placed in charge of the setting out and construction of about 320 miles of line through broken country.
On the establishment of the Public Works Department of New Zealand Mr. Bold was appointed in 1870 an Assistant Engineer under Mr. John Carruthers, then Engineer-in-Chief for the Colony. As Road Engineer for Taupo and the East Coast he carried out many important engineering, surveying and architectural works.
In 1877 he was, in addition, appointed Resident Engineer of the Napier-Manawata Railway, and he also acted as Engineer for the Counties of Waipawa and Hawkes Bay.
In 1878 Mr. Bold retired from the public service, but before the expiration of that year he was offered the appointment of Inspector of Telegraphs for the East Coast. That post he held until 1894, when he was transferred in a similar capacity to Auckland. There he died somewhat suddenly in May, 1900.
Mr. Bold was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 4th December, 1877, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.
1901 Obituary