Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,881 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Chepstow, bridges and shipbuilding
founded by Edward Finch
Also see Finch and Co
1886 Edward Finch and Co won the contract to build a twin-screw tug and salvage steamer for service on the Bute Dock Estate
1904 Dividend declared
WWI During the War, the yard was extremely busy making minesweepers, tugs and boom defence vessels.
1916 The yard was bought by Standard Shipbuilding Co with funding from a consortium of other shipyard owners. The first task was to modernise the yard - a new venue was found just downstream of the Finch yard. The company was then renamed Edward Finch (1916) Ltd. The company now had four berths in the old Finch yard, eight new berths in the Chepstow No. 1 yard and a further eight berths in the Bleachely No. 2 yard which was located on the opposite side of the Wye.
1917 The Government took over the yards - becoming part one of the National Shipard No.1. The Shipping Controller ordered two standard "C" types, four "H" types and six prefabricated "N" type vessels.
1920 A group of investors, the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Co and the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co wanted to buy the yards but problems arose concerning the tax situation; eventually they formed Monmouth Shipbuilding Co to acquire the yards.