Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,459 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Charles Robert Marks (1866-1928)
1866 December 8th. Born
1928 Obituary 
EDWARD CHARLES ROBERT MARKS took a leading part in establishing the Midland Branch of the Institution, of which he was the first Chairman, in 1921 and 1922. During these two years he was a Member of Council and he remained a member of the Branch Committee until his death on 31st July 1928.
Mr. Marks was born at Eltham, Kent, in 1866, and was trained at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.
He went to Birmingham in 1885 and in 1889 joined the firm of Marks and Clerk, which had shortly before been established by his brother, Sir George Croydon Marks, and was later joined by Sir Dugald Clerk. During his long connexion with the firm Mr. Marks was associated with his brother in many constructional engineering works, amongst which were the Matlock Cable Tramway, the Cliff Railway at Bridgnorth, and the harbour extension at Padstow.
In his early years he was a lecturer at the Birmingham Municipal Technical School, and the author of a number of engineering textbooks. He took an active part in civic work, and was a member of the Electric Supply Committee and the Town Planning Committee of the Birmingham City Council. A considerable part of his professional career was centred in Manchester, where he was a founder of the Engineers' Club.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1891, and he was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.